Saturday, May 30, 2009

Carnival of Guilt

My good friend Danny wrote this, and I thought it was so amazing I had to share it.
He said I could, so here is his work "the Carnival of Guilt"


I was greeted well enough at the door, Giving my ticket to the clown. I saw attractions by the score, Still, none seemed to slow me down.
I heard laughter all around me, Yet, I felt a silent jeer.
No, it didn't take me long to see- I was not welcome here.
Heads were turning, eyes were burning, Suddenly, all laughs were gone.
Only silent glares and my stomach, churning In repulsed fear, pushed me on.
I walked faster, yet so did they, What this horde wanted, I did not know.
Running to the nearest door on my way, I found myself at "The Freak Show".
Sneaking backstage, in hopes to hide, I saw a two- headed man in a fight- Against himself, each head taking a side, And neither side was right.
Both looked at me, without words being said, Each pointing their given hand to a door.
Smiling, as if somehow my thoughts they read, They knew what I was here for.
Walking inside, with what I saw- Thought, defunct, my human eyes.
Though inside I was struck with awe, I tried not to show surprise.
A four legged woman walking- With a man who had no legs at all, Living, loving, laughing and talking- As if he stood ten feet tall.
A bearded lady singing, soft in tone- To a man with two noses.
A man so skinny he looked to lack bone- In the mirror, practicing poses.
I stood, amazed, at the shapes he took, As my misdirected thoughts ran.
It seemed he could make himself to look- Like anything but a "normal" man.
As if sensing my questioning mind, A boy approached, beginning to speak.
Saying, "Stay, safely, here awhile, you will find- The answers that you seek."
I looked down, seeing each arm without hand, But pinchers like a lobster, instead.
He said, "There's things the world won't understand- That can be grasped, here, full- fled. "
He gestured to a snake-skinned man- And said, "Beauty, truly is in the eye. Viewed by the world, a charlatan, Won't you give the magic mirror a try. "
So I stepped over and took my view, Beheld a man without a face.
It was suddenly so clear, I knew- I had finally found my place.
And every night people stop just to stare, And maybe we raise their self-esteem.
Some pity us, thinking it's not fair- Some think we're just here to scheme.
But I recall the other side, I know- What leads you to jeer and jilt.
And what you see as "The Freak Show"- Is just your carnival of guilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment